After going to the market yesterday I walked along the Marne river. Meaux is situated in a loop in the river. The Marne is the longest river in France (326 miles). Corot, Cézanne, and Pissarro all painted on its banks, and the Marne Valley was the scene of heavy fighting in World War I. The photo at this link provides a good sense of the river and how city and river are integrated. (You can see the cathedral at top center.)
After going to the market yesterday I walked along the Marne river. Meaux is situated in a loop in the river. The Marne is the longest river in France (326 miles). Corot, Cézanne, and Pissarro all painted on its banks, and the Marne Valley was the scene of heavy fighting in World War I. The photo at this link provides a good sense of the river and how city and river are integrated. (You can see the cathedral at top center.)


Comments