Goodbye to Moffat

Have had 3 lovely days here in Moffat, recharging batteries and collecting myself. Yesterday I walked up the hills above town through an old and beautiful beech grove, around Gallows Hill where presumably there was a hanging tree in ancient times. I stopped to watch a farmer across the valley as he and his dogs herded a flock of sheep out of the barnyard, up through one grazing and into the next. He was on a 4-wheeler ("quad" as they call it here) and his 2 border collies were amazing to watch, as they rounded up stray sheep and kept the flock moving at a good pace. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. When they got the gate shut into the top field, the dogs jumped up on the 4 wheeler and they all headed back down the hill. Incredible dogs.

I have also visited a Tibetan Buddhist monastery nearby. Very unpresuming but peaceful and healing. On the way there I stopped at a wildlife sanctuary and saw, way high up on the mountain, a small (about 7) herd of wild goats. They had beards and were white and blotched with black or brown.

My Internet time comes to a close once again. I'll be in Carluke for the next 3 nights finishing family history research.

xxoo A.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gallows hill...the way you are walking through old, old history makes me shiver. And if there wasn't a gallows tree, there was a man-made gallows. They were often at crossroads, I don't know why. The area around a gallows was where suicides and others were sometimes buried...bodies which for various reasons weren't allowed to be buried in a consecrated graveyard. And how wonderful to see the sheep dogs in action. I loved reading about that. I read James Herriot a lot...he was writing of England, of course, but sheep dogs must be the same the world over. There are sheep dog trails here one can go to, but that iis nothing compared to seeing the actual activity.