Cream

They are MAD about cream in this country. The restaurant desserts are very rich, often with whipped cream. Then they are apt to bring out a pitcher of cream, and pour more on top! It's wild. Why isn't everyone here overweight? I see very few who are, far fewer than at home.

There are practically NO green vegetables served in restaurants. Salad, at most, and the occasional piece of broccoli. Carrots and potatoes are the stock veg. served with the usual meat and potatoes. Even in Italian restaurants there is very little green. They do eat a lot of fruit. My carb intake has been over the top...

The bakeries here are really fantastic. Every town has tea rooms and bakeries. Wendy, you would love it. You can get all manner of yummy treats with your tea, or if you prefer, coffee, since even in the most rural areas they tend to have Italian coffee beans. (Fair trade? What's that?) There are next to no health food stores. Actually I have seen exactly two in my entire travels. Of course I am mostly in rural areas, but still, there is nothing like our wonderful food co-ops. Oh, they have co-ops but they are run of the mill supermarkets.

Love to all. -- A.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Annie, I love reading about your travels! I remember very few greens in Scotland when I went, too, and that was a looong time ago when I probably was more than happy for the opportunity to consume a large plate of fried fish and salty potato chunks. I think I had some little shriveled brownish peas or overcooked broccoli, but that's the extent of it.
Keep writing!
Love,
Holly
Anonymous said…
Annie,
I just read your postings. What a sheer delight. Your attention to detail is great, I want to see how the names are on the candy jars and the valleys and the mining town That slide show may need to have extra chairs.

You have interested me in sitting down with my slides now and trying to remember details and get it down while still fresh.

Have a great end to your trip and see you in August!!
Mary
Anonymous said…
If only I had gone to Scotland when I could still fill up on sweets to my heart's content without any negative consequences! Now, alas, my poor tummy complains if I have much fat OR sugar!!! Annie, you must analyze further why people are not fat in spite of the cream...more activity? No junk food?
Annie Watson said…
They do walk a lot...