Candy stores

Moffat had the "biggest candy store in the UK" and frankly I believe their claim. Shelves and shelves of large, gallon-size jars of all manner of sweets, mostly hard candy, with names like:
  • Mixed boilings
  • Soor plums
  • Berwick cockles
  • Poly pastilles
  • Clove rock
  • Chocolate satins
  • Black striped balls
  • Mixed oddfellows
  • Clyde tofymints (yes Clydie, I got some for you)
  • Granny sookers
  • Rosey apples
  • Troach drops

...to name only a few. I took a picture.

Comments

Clyde said…
oh goodie! I can't wait for my tofymints! Mixed oddfellows sound like a fine sort, as well. Mmmm. Hope you took a picture.
Annie Watson said…
Yes, I have 2 pictures. I wish I could post photos (sigh). It will have to wait til I get home.
Anonymous said…
Oh, I want to put some of these names into a story! Makes you see where some of those wonderful New England words come from...