Bees have predators, too


I instinctively felt it good to keep the grass short in front of the beehives that I just got last fall....It has been getting kind of long lately, and when I got home today I found this compelling reason that my instincts were good...

Comments

Clyde said…
Do you know what kind of spider it is? I never saw one like that before. It looks toxic!

clydie & dad
Anonymous said…
Is the spider eating the bee? Did you kill it, if so? I would be so angry at the spider!
Pete said…
I have seen these spiders before, but did not know they predated on honey bees!
Pete said…
Annie, that camera takes incredible pictures!
I like your blog!
Clyde said…
Hi Annie,
I think the spider is a 'flower Spider'--see the link http://www.spiderzrule.com/flowerspi.htm

they hide out and wait for bees and other insects that visit flowers, then attack.
Annie Watson said…
Thanks for all the comments. I did not kill the bee. The spider did. I found it like that!

Thanks to Clydie for identifying the spider as a crab spider or flower spider. I will do further research.
Anonymous said…
I meant, did you kill the spider? I'm afraid I would have!
Annie Watson said…
No, I did not kill the spider either. Bad luck and all...But I did cut and pull out all the grass near the hive entrance so the spiders wouldn't have such easy pickings!